Equipping Overhaul Issue and Courier Status

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Equipping Overhaul Issue and Courier Status

Well, I thought I ought to make a more detailed explanation of what the current status of Equipping Overhaul is. Like always, there's some great things being worked on and some technical issues slowing things down. I'll start with the issues. Well actually, just one issue.

First and foremost, I need to say that the issue is major, but I do not believe it's impossible to fix. I don't feel like explaining the entire fundamentals of the mod's workings, but I will try to explain everything needed for you to know what occurring. If anything is confusing or ambiguous please inform me! The gist of it is that when the fake display equipment that mirrors the actual equipment is placed into a non-standard equipping slot, the engine misinterprets what is going on. The engine wasn't designed to be this versatile, and obviously shortcuts were taken when these function were constructed. Frankly, I can only make assumptions about the nature of the engine and how it works, which makes things difficult. Point is, when an item is equipped the engine looks at the form's slot and makes that slot occupied by it. It also has to display said item on the character, which it does by attaching it to nodes on the skeleton defined by a node-name holding string on the items NIF (model). If it were that simple though, I wouldn't have any issues. But there are stats related to the items as well as first person display among other things. The engine is not designed to handle additional slots aside from the two hands, so it misenterprets what to do with the stats. I'm brainstorming and testing countless ways to either stop this from happening all together or fix it when it does. Currently the alpha version re-equips the items in the player's hands after display items have been equipped (assuming you have the temporary fix enabled in the MCM), but this is unstable (don't ask why, the engine doesn't like these functions being called very often) and has serious negative side-effects on immersion and gameplay. I've solved some pieces of the issue, but others persist. I'd actually much rather find a way to attack models to the skeleton without the whole round-about equipment method, but without more knowledge of the source code that may not be possible (for the time being). Who knows, I'll just keep banging my head on this wall until it starts to work.

Now for the great things! I have rewritten everything from scratch again! Each time everything becomes more efficiant and much more stable! I've made some breakthroughs and you no longer need meshpacks or any other requirements (you still need SKSE of course). Beast-form stuff is entirely fixed (don't know why I kept messing that stuff up Razz), and lots of those 'new features' are on the way. I personally and much happier with the state of all the old features. Really it's like a whole new mod with the same basic core ideas, but better execution on everything. Oh, and here's something extremely exciting! An MCM menu allowing you to change the locations of weapon nodes (such as sword on back rather than hip) while the game is still running. Essentially this is the 'Realistic Weapon Positions merger' system that was previously discussed. Additionally, the mod does a lot more analysis now to custom place certain items to reduce clipping, such as moving your shield farther out if you were wearing a backpack or had weapons on your back!

So it all depends on the solution to the geared up display system, but that's just a matter of time. Due to this I have no ETA whatsoever.

Also Courier Between Worlds is looking great! I just need to figure out how to make some custom menus...

That's all for now. Dragondude out!
DragonDude
Holy Dragon
Holy Dragon

View user profile http://dragondudemods.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down